NEW ELECTION TIMELINES FOR PCCS BOARD OF DIRECTORS POSITIONS
February 24, 2020
Dear PCCS Parents,
In response to feedback from the PCCS community and board position applicants, the PCCS Board of Directors will now be conducting the Parent-Elect and Board-Appointed processes for applying to serve on the Board of Directors at separate times. This change will allow applicants (if they choose to do so) to be considered during both the Parent-Elect and Board-Appointed processes during the same election year. The Parent-Elect process will now be held in the spring and the Board-Appointed process will remain in the fall. All elected applicants will still be seated at the October Board of Directors meeting. The new election policy outlining the details of this change can be found here.
The PCCS Board of Directors is comprised of 9 individuals, each holding a 3-year elected or appointed position on the board. Every year, three Board positions become eligible for replacement. The School Board appoints two of these positions, and the PCCS parent community elects one.
Applications for the Parent-Elect positions will be accepted beginning Monday, March 16th, 2020. This Parent-Elect position will be for a three-year term, which will begin in October 2020.
Becoming a member of the PCCS Board of Directors is a great way to get involved and proactively work for the school and its mission. It is also a significant responsibility and commitment to the children, parents, staff, and community of Prairie Crossing Charter School.
The board especially needs individuals with backgrounds in educations, finance, marketing, and/or law to help it move forward in the governance of the school. The ability to consider differing opinions and to respond with civility and respect is a key skill for any candidate.
To be considered for the parent-elected position, applicants must submit the following documents by no later than 3:30 PM on Wednesday, April 8, 2020.
- Letter of intent (these should include statements that reflect your vision for the school, your strengths related to board work and why you feel you would be an asset to the board);
- Three (3) Letter of Recommendation
- Applicants must declare that they are applying for the Parent-Elect position
The above documents should be turned into the school office by 3:30 PM on Wednesday, April 8, 2020. Applicants received after this time will be considered invalid. Applications should be sent ATTN: Jim Mertz, Election Committee Chairperson.
All candidates will be certified prior to voting. This year, we will again be using an online voting platform, Election Buddy, which is secure and transparent. Online voting dates will be from Monday, April 20, 2020 until Monday, May 4, 2020 at 3:30 PM.
PCCS Board member duties include:
- Commit to a 3-year term
- Attend all Board meetings (every fourth Tuesday of the month), occasional special Board meetings, and biannual Board retreats.
- Opportunity to serve on at least one Board committee. Standing Board committees are: Finance, Governance, Academic Excellence, Outreach and Election Committee.
- Each Board member must complete the necessary training and paperwork as required by State law. The Board and PCCS Administration will provide each member with appropriate assistance to comply with the training and paperwork requirements. Additional information can be found here.
President, PCCS Board of Directors