Ms. Hahn’s Newsletter
May 2, 2021
There was no spelling last week and there will be no spelling this week.
When we had reading lessons the past few weeks, students worked on reading articles and answering questions. Students had to find the answer to the question in the article. We won’t have a lot of time for reading lessons this week, so I encourage you to have your child read daily.
We have finished up our poem unit in writing. The students wrote a variety of poems following a guide. It was great to see how they are able to use their ideas and turn them into poems. This week will have very little writing lessons.
Students finished Unit 6 about a week ago. This past week we just started Unit 7 about multiplication, division, and fractions. At home students will need an empty egg carton for Unit 7. Students should have their multiplication facts memorized to 12.
Students are learning how Illinois became a state. They learned how the delegates had to decide on the laws for the state of Illinois. We will continue our study of Illinois next week including government lessons.
Students were able to plant potatoes in our garden beds this past week. They also observed how the radishes are growing.
Native American Week May 3-May 7 Information
This week the students will Native American Week. There will be activities every day except Wednesday. Some of the activities will require students at home to work asynchronous. Most days the activities will be from about 9 to 2. We will have a member of the Potawatomi tribe zooming with the class and meeting with the class this week. On Friday in person students will get to sample maple sugar candy made over the fire. Friday the students will be able to observe Native American dances after lunch.
Here is a list of important times for remote students, Use Ms. Hahn’s zoom for activities
Monday– about 1:15 to 2:40 students will work on asynchronous activities
Tuesday– 10 to 11 asynchronous activities, 1:15 Virtual Field Trip
Wednesday– 8:00 to 8:40 PE, 8:45 NWEA testing on zoom, 10:30-11:00 Music, 1:00 Early Release
Thursday– 1:00 NWEA testing on zoom
Friday– 12:15 Virtual Powwow dances, No Spanish Zoom
- May 5th and 6th – NWEA testing
- Wednesday, May 5 – Early Release
- Friday, May 14 – Materials Pick-up: Last one of the year!
- Tuesday, May 18th – Picture Day
- Friday, May 21 – Early Release
- Friday, June 4 – Last Day of School
4 C Information
- Remote students log into specials at 8:10 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Friday log into Ms. Hahn’s zoom at 8:00.
- Students will eat outside almost every day. There will not be a microwave available for the students. We prefer no or very few nuts in lunches.
- Arrival is from 7:40 to 8:00. Drop off in the parking lot by the flagpole.
- Carpool begins at 3:30.
- PE will probably be outside. If it is inside, students will need indoor PE shoes.
- Dress in layers as we will be outside for many subjects throughout the day.
- Students will take their Chromebooks at night to charge and do homework.
- Students need indoor shoes or slippers for the classroom.