Wow! The first week back from break has flown by! This week we began our pioneer books in reading. Some students are reading Little House on the Prairie and some are reading Joshua’s Diary. The two different books meet every other day with a teacher to have a discussion. The first couple days have gone really well! In writing, we started our second opinion/persuasive paper. This time we worked on researching our topic to give more information in our paper. We wanted the students to be able to add more background to support their opinions. In Social Studies, we have been learning the history of Illinois and how it came to be. We went as far back as the 1700’s! 4th grade math has been working hard on multiplying fraction by whole numbers. They are learning to show this an area model, a mathematical expression, and on a number line. They are doing an amazing job! On Friday we added compost to our garden beds and finished planting some more lettuce. The cold frames were put on top of each bed to keep them warm when the temperatures drop.
Next week, we have our last three PARCC tests. They will be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday – please make sure to get a good nights rest and nutrient rich meal! We will be continuing our different pioneer books and book discussions. In writing, our opinion/persuasive papers will be due on Friday. The students will have Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday to work on them. We will be moving on to a new writing unit! The students have come so far this year growing as writers! Our class will continue to learn about the history of Illinois in Social Studies. We also want to become a bit more familiar with maps and geography. Students should continue to work on their “S” key packets throughout the week – they’re due the following week. Please don’t forget ALL permission slips due next Friday, the 14th!
Dates to Remember
- Monday, April 10th – 10:00- 11:15 PARCC
- Tuesday, April 11 – Green Assembly
- Wednesday, April 12th – Farm to Table
- Wednesday, April 12th – 12:15-2:00 PARCC
- Wednesday, April 12th – Noche de Poemas
- Thursday, April 14th – PCCS Green Team Composting Workshop 5:30pm-7:00pm
- Friday, April 14th – Permission slips due today!
- Friday, April 14th – 10:00- 11:15 PARCC
- Friday, April 14th – 2:20- 2:50 Taste of the World
EARTH WEEK : Monday-Friday April 17th-21st
- Monday, April 17th – Waukegan book buddies visit
- Wednesday, April 19th – “S” key packets are due!
- Wednesday, April 19th – Nature Story Walk
- Friday, April 21st – Field trip to Morraine Hills