Welcome to February! We have a lot of birthdays in our classroom for the month of February! WOW! It will definitely be a month of celebrating. Speaking of celebrating, our beautiful door won in the door decorating contest during School of Choice Week! We were all very proud! If you missed what it looks like, check last week’s post!
This week we started our unit on rocks, soil, and minerals. The 3rd and 4th graders really enjoyed the labs and experiments that we have been doing each day. They have seen physical weathering in action, and are observing chemical weathering as well. The 4th graders are preparing for their fraction test on Tuesday the 7th and have been practicing fractions by playing several different types of math games. It is great that they can have fun and learn at the same time. We are continuing our informational text writing by working backwards; we started with a table of contents, and are working on organizing information into paragraphs. The 3rd and 4th graders are working with partners to write a missing “chapter” from our table of contents.
Next week, the 4th graders have a fractions assessment and will start looking at adding fractions. We will also continue learning about rocks, soil, and minerals by doing more hands-on experiments. Ms. Naomi will be coming in on Wednesday to teach us all about the rock cycle! We plan to finish our missing “chapters” by Friday and share them with the class.
- The PSO is running a BOX TOPS collection drive now until February 15. Send in your BOX TOPS in a labeled envelope or zip lock bag with your child’s name and teacher’s name.
- Thank you to the families that have donated prizes for our Hawk’s ticket prize bin!
- We desperately need volunteers to sign up for our laundry each week – we have no one for the rest of the year!
- Green Assembly at 8:15 on Feb. 7
- Friday, February 10th–Spirit Day! Wear Green or PCCS gear
- Friday, February 10th–Trivia Night
- Saturday, February 11th–Fairy Garden Class–workshops at 9am, 10am, and 11am
- Valentine’s Day party at 2:15 on the 14th (volunteer link)
- F2T February 15th (sign-up by the 9th)
- Friday February 17th – NO SCHOOL – teacher in-service
- Save the Date! One Earth Film Festival @ PCCS on Saturday, March 4th at 1:30pm!