MODULE 4 – EXPRESSIONS AND EQUATIONS
TOPIC A – RELATIONSHIPS OF THE OPERATIONS
In Topic A, students use a tape diagram to examine relationships between operations. They begin by exploring
the relationship between addition and subtraction. Next, they explore the relationships between multiplication
and division and multiplication and addition. Students conclude the topic by exploring how subtraction and
division are related.
You can expect to see homework that asks your child to do the following:
▪ Fill in the missing part of a number sentence or equation.
▪ Explain why the equations w − x + x = w and w + x − x = w are called identities.
▪ Examine and describe the relationships between operations.
▪ Write an equivalent expression to show a specific relationship. For example, 3 × 9 is equivalent to
9 + 9 + 9, or 3d is equivalent to d + d + d.
▪ From a division equation, write the related subtraction equation, draw the tape diagram, and determine the
value of the variable. (See the Sample Problem.)