At Prairie Crossing Charter School, one of our goals is to ensure that every student attends school regularly.
Showing up for school has a huge impact on a student’s academic success starting in kindergarten and continuing through high school. Even as children grow older and more independent, families play a key role in making sure students get to school safely every day and understand why attendance is so important for success in school and in life.
We realize some absences are unavoidable due to health problems or other circumstances. But, we also know that when students miss too much school— regardless of the reason – it can cause them to fall behind academically. Your child is less likely to succeed if he or she is chronically absent—which means missing 18 or more days over the course of an entire school year. Research shows:
- Children chronically absent in kindergarten and 1st grade are much less likely to read at grade level by the end of 3rd grade.
- By 6th grade, chronic absence is a proven early warning sign for students at risk for dropping out of school.
- By 9th grade good attendance can predict graduation rates even better than 8th grade test scores.
Absences can add up quickly. A child is chronically absent if he or she misses just two days every month!!
Clearly going to school regularly matters!
We do not want your child to fall behind in school and get discouraged. Please ensure that your child attends school every day and arrives on time. Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance:
- Make sure your children keep a regular bedtime and establish a morning routine.
- Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
- Ensure your children go to school every day unless they are truly sick
- Avoid scheduling vacations or doctor’s appointments when school is in session.
- Talk to your child’s teachers and our social worker for advice if your children feel anxious about going to school.
- Develop back up plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, neighbor, or another parent to take your child to school.
Please let us know how we can best support you and your children so that they can show up for school on time every day. We want your child to be successful in school! If you have any questions or need more information please contact us.
This year, we will celebrate our attendance with a special SPIRIT WEEK. Help us show our pride and dedication by participating in all the events planned for this special week of school.
September 14th -september 18th
Monday – School Spirit Wear! Wear green or PCCS Shirts
Tuesday – Character Dress-Up Day (Dress as your favorite book character)
Wednesday – Crazy Hair Day/Hat Day
Thursday – No Child Left Inside (NCLI) Day (Classes taught outdoors all day will get a
Friday – Picnic Day – Eat Outside. (Popsicles provided at 12:30)
Kelly Smith and Tony Zamiar
Deans of Prairie Crossing Charter School