We wish everyone a happy and safe Halloween weekend – here are some fun activities for students who may not be trick-or-treating! Students went over some Halloween fun facts & safety information in class this week; feel free to review the information at home, using the presentation here.
- In ELA: students presented their lit circle character slideshows! They turned out great; ask your child to see it, if you have not had a chance yet. Students also did some creative writing and practiced recognizing parts of speech.
- In Social studies: students got a chance to explore primitive communication by designing a simple language and creating skits for their peers to interpret. This activity provided a new challenge due to the remote set-up, but the 6th graders rose to the occasion and did a fabulous job!
- In Science: students wrapped up the Change Over Time unit. On Thursday, they enjoyed a Halloween themed Science activity- glow in the dark oobleck!
- In Math: Math A and B are working through Module 2. Math B is nearly finished with the unit and will take their Module 2 assessment on Monday. On Friday, both classes enjoyed a Math-related Escape Room that utilized their problem solving skills.
Two additional updates:
- We want to encourage families to continue communicating with the team as openly as possible. We know these are challenging times for everyone in the community – please know that you are *always* welcome to reach out to us to share feedback, ask for support, etc.
- Based on feedback from parents and concerning statistics, starting on Monday the 6th grade schedule will be altered *slightly*, incorporating both a morning and afternoon “required screen-free time” from 9:55-10:15 & 1:45-2pm. Students will be directed to take a movement break off Zoom and/or use the break for DEAR time (drop everything and read).
- Monday, 11/2: Phase 4B Carson Town Hall with Admin (on Zoom) @6:30
- Tuesday 11/3: No School, Election Day
- Friday 11/6: Curriculum pick-up/drop off, 3-4pm
- Please return *all books* that students have finished reading, inside their nature bag
- Friday 11/13: End of Trimester 1, Early Release (1pm Dismissal)
-Ms. Turner & the Sixth Grade Team