We had a delicious Tomato Jubilee today! The students had fun creating the meal and, of course, eating it! Your children did a great job working with the various kitchen tools and ingredients. Thank you to the parents that were able to join us.
At curriculum night we went through our expectations and learning goals for the year. For those who were unable to, or those who just want to see it again, here is our 5th grade syllabus. This will give you a good overview of what the year will look like. We also went over information for our special classes and our social emotional team. Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
- Reviewed division with 1 digit divisors on weekly spiral review and practiced order of operations using exponents
- Discussed the differences among perimeter, area, volume, and surface area with using the correct units
- Edited their work on their poster for accuracy with perimeter, area, volume, and surface area
- Next week, we will focus on division strategies and take the Multiplication and Volume Checkpoint
- Completed the catapult experiment to determine if weight affects the distance of the projectile
- Made and analyzed bar and line graphs and wrote a conclusion to the experiment in their catapult lab books
- Next week, we will start the Catapult Game Project -students can see information about the project in Google Classroom
Social Studies News:
- This week students completed and presented their Family Immigratin Floats. It was so wonderful to hear about your families. The students were very excited to learn about all the similarities they share!
- Next week we will begin our unit on the Thirteen Colonies.
- This week we worked on fragment, complete, and run on sentences, as well as personal pronouns.
- We took spelling pretests to find each student’s spelling level.
- Next week we will be continuing with our novel study of Esperanza Rising.