As the first trimester is coming to a close, please encourage your child to connect with their teachers about any assignments that need to be completed. As the students have transitioned to letter grades, we want them to take ownership in their work and the learning process.
On an Environmental Education note, we planted garlic yesterday in the 5th grade garden beds. We do have extra garlic bulbs. If you’re interested in having your child bring one home to plant, please let us know.
Thank you for the parents that helped with the Halloween party last Friday! The students had a blast! We look forward to seeing parents during Parent Teacher Conferences on November 21 & 22. A sign-up will be sent next Friday with more details.
- Took a checkpoint on adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators using money models, clock models, and number line models
- Solved addition and subtraction fractions with unlike denominators using least common multiples
- Reviewed converting mixed numbers to improper fractions
- Next week, we will discuss how to solve fractions of a whole numbers and review strategies for the upcoming Unit 2 Test
- Created and presented group solar, wind, hydropower, geothermal, and biomass newscasts through the lenses of engineers, historians, investigators, and analyzers
- Discussed the elements of collaboration skills
- Engaged effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) building on others’ ideas
- Next week, we will continue in Sustainability Unit playing the Fish Game, a simulation about sustainable harvesting practices
- This week we learned about the Quakers, and how their way of life was different than many of the other groups.
- We also started talking about the fur trade, and how it impacted the middle colonies.
- Next week we will finish learning about the fur trade, and start to review for the 13 colony test. This will tentatively be on Wednesday Nov 16.
- Today we took our first novel comprehension quiz today. The students have spent time this week learning how to answer these types of questions. I am excited to see their thoughts on the novel!
- Next week we will move onto the next chapter.
11/08 – Election Day – No School
11/09 – Finance Committee Meeting 6 PM – Agenda
11/09 – Special Board Meeting 7 PM – Agenda
11/11 – Early Release and end of 1st Trimester
11/15 – PCCS Blood Drive in the Byron Colby Barn 1:00 pm
11/21 – Early Release Parent Conferences
11/22 – Early Release Parent Conferences
11/23 – No School
11/24 – No School Thanksgiving Day
11/25 – No School