Opening for PCCS Board of Directors Position
As a result of the completion of terms of three current Prairie Crossing Charter School Directors, PCCS is seeking three Candidates to serve as members of its Board of Directors. These Board positions will have terms of November 2014 to October 2017. As required by the School’s by-laws, one Board position will be filled via the School’s Parent Elected process and two Board positions will be filled via the School’s Board-Appointed process. Timelines for the election of Directors via both processes are described below. If you have any questions regarding this process, you are encouraged to contact dthorson [at] pccharterschool [dot] org (Dean Thorson), PCCS Board President.
The PCCS Board of Directors is comprised of nine individuals, each holding a 3-year elected or appointed position on the board. Every year, three Board positions become eligible for replacement. Two of these positions are appointed by the School Board, and one is elected by the PCCS parent community.
Becoming a member of the PCCS Board of Directors is a great way to get involved and proactively work for the school and its mission. It is also a significant responsibility and commitment to the children, parents, staff and community of Prairie Crossing Charter School.
In order to be considered for the Board-appointed or Parent Elected Board position, applicants must submit the following documents:
✓ Letter of intent (these should include statements that reflect your vision for the school, your strengths related to board work and why you feel you would be an asset to the board)
✓ Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
The above documents should be turned into the school office by the deadline specified in the Election Timeline. Applications received after this time will be considered invalid. Applications for the Board-Appointed should be sent Attn: Peggy Boyle, Nominating Committee Chairperson. Applications for the Parent Elected should be sent Attn: Parent Elected Election Committee.
PCCS Board member duties include:
o Commit to a 3-year term.
o Attend all Board meetings (every fourth Tuesday of the month), occasional special Board meetings
and biannual Board retreats. Each Board meeting lasts an average of 4 hours. There is an additional 1-2 hours of prep work prior to each Board meeting.
o Serve on at least one board committee. This requires an additional 5-8 hours each month. Some examples of standing Board committees are: the Finance committee; the Communications, Public Relations, & Fundraising committee; and the Nominating committee.
o Each Board member must sign a confidentiality agreement and statement of economic interest.
Parent Elected Timeline
- Wednesday, August 27, 2014—Election Initiation Date; applications will begin to be accepted.
- Monday, September 22, 2014—Candidate applications due to Parent-Elect Election Committee by 3:30pm.
- Monday, September 22, 2014—Parent-Elect Election Committee opens and certifies candidates.
- Friday, October 3, 2014—Ballots will be distributed.
- Friday, October 17, 2014—Ballots are due to PCCS office by 3:30pm.
- Monday, October 20, 2014 or sooner: Public announcement of election results is made.
*As allowed by Policy 200.21, some dates have been modified from the preferred dates to account for weekends and/or other unique circumstances.
The Parent-Elect Election Committee will announce the term(s) that are eligible for election due to the expiration of an existing Parent-Elected term and that the candidate applications are being accepted beginning, effective August 22, 2014. Public announcements will be made at least three times between the date the election cycle is set and the due date for applications. At least two of these announcements will be made within 30 days of the application deadline.
Election of Directors via Board-Appointed Process
- Thursday October 09, 2014—Election Initiation Date; applications will begin to be accepted.
- Monday, November 03, 2014—Applications due to Nominating Committee by 3:30pm.
- Monday, November 03, 2014 to Thursday November 13, 2014—Nominating Committee certifies candidates; the date on which all candidates are certified becomes the "Certification Date".
- Certification Date no later than Friday, November 28, 2014—The Board of Directors shall interview all candidates in accord with established practices and hold a vote to elect the Board-Appointed Candidates. The date of the vote is the "Election Date."
- Within two days of the Election Date: A Public announcement of election results is made.
*As allowed by Policy 200.21 some dates have been modified from the preferred dates to account for weekends and/or other unique circumstances.